This post may contain affiliate links. A small portion of sales will go towards supporting And Hattie Makes Three.
When chillier weather comes around, we move into soup for dinner mode – especially my Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup. It is warm, hearty and honestly it is the best thing you can have with a grilled cheese sandwich. My goal is always to have dinner at home during the week. Some weeks, I’m not a great planner, so I love having a few recipes ( like my Easy Greek Chicken Pasta Salad) in my arsenal I can use to have dinner ready in 30 minutes or less. One of the store bought items I heavily rely on is rotisserie chicken. I love that I can use one for a recipe, and then have leftovers for chicken salad, or another meal the next night. I find rotisserie chickens are under $6, which help with money saving meals.
Now around here, chicken broth is a staple in my pantry. I like to keep 3-4 boxes around for all kinds of reasons. We also usually have carrots and onions around, so when I’m running to the store, we just need celery and a chicken. Now, I try to pick out the chicken that will have the most flavor for the soup. In this situation, I got the Italian Herb because I love those flavors. When the broth is simmering with the chicken, those flavors will just come out and the house smells amazing.
This is a super kid friendly meal. Hattie loves this soup and asked for seconds. She also loves helping with chopping up the carrots and celery.
Now the trick to my noodles not losing their integrity is cooking them separately. I know that sounds funny for soup, but it keeps the noodles al dente and not mushy. If I have leftovers, I also store the noodles separate and then reheat together. You could also substitute any other noodle or even rice for this soup for a twist.
Try this Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup for your next chilly night in and your family will be sure to ask for seconds. What kind of soup is your favorite?
Quick and easy week night dinner using a Rotisserie Chicken.
- 3 Carrots - Peeled & Diced
- 2 Celery Ribs - Diced
- 1 Small Yellow Onion - Diced
- Olive Oil
- 1 TSP Fresh Thyme
- 2 Boxes Chicken Stock
- 2 Cups Shredded Rotisserie Chicken
- 8 Ounces Egg Noodles
- 1/4 Cup Parsley Chopped
- In a large stock pot add 2 TBSP of Olive Oil, carrots, celery and onion and cook on medium high heat for 10 minutes or until softened.
- While the veggies are going, remove the chicken from the bone and shred. You'll likely have more than 2 cups, set aside for another day.
- Once veggies are softened, add chicken, chicken stock and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and cook egg noodles per package instructions.
- Just before serving, add noodles and chicken soup together in a bowl, and garnish with parsley.
By cooking the egg noodles separately from the stock, you find that the noodles hold their integrity and aren't mushy. Also if reheating, store noodles separate from stock and reheat together.
Other Soup Recipes
If you like this soup recipe, try my other soup and chili recipes. All quick and delicious!