I don’t know about you, but at our house, we love a good bedtime routine. Hattie has her flow and Jeff and I have ours. If for some reason our routine gets thrown off, our sleep can really suffer. Is it like that at your house too? Humans love routine, which is why from a young age, we want our babies on a sleep schedule. I remember we worked so hard to get Hattie on a schedule as fast as we could so we could all get a better night’s sleep. Now, that little lady still sleeps like a champ. I know in our house when Hattie’s head hits the pillow and she is asleep for the night! Wouldn’t that be great for Mom & Dad too?
Better Sleep Month
Did you know that May is Better Sleep Month? A whole month dedicated to making sure you have an action plan to keep yourself well-rested. This month lets to focus on those routines and sleep like a kid again. As adults, we get into being overscheduled, super busy, and not taking time for self-care. Sleep is so important for your body to refresh and feel energized, let’s start with one small change.
Tips for a Better Night’s Sleep
Since we’re big into a routine around here, I wanted to share six of our best tips for a better night’s sleep. These are the exact same tips and tricks we use on Hattie, so they can help anyone to sleep like a kid. I thought she could help us share how to get the best night sleep possible.
- Get Rid of Technology – get those phones, tablets, and computers out of your bed. That blue light can make your brain go crazy! If you can, stop using your phone an hour ahead of bedtime to get your brain in calm down mode. Perhaps read a book before bedtime?
- Hygiene Routine – Do you have a bedtime routine for your body? Brush teeth, take off makeup. Keeping a consistent flow will get your body ready for bed.
- Check Your Bed – How old is your mattress? Do you have clean sheets? Do you need to switch from winter to summer sheets? All of these variables can throw your sleep off as well. We recently got a new mattress and sheets and it was a game-changer.
- Set a Bedtime – Just like your kids, you need a set bedtime as well. Mine is 10:17 on the dot!
- Skip the Snooze – As tempting as that extra 10 minutes is, don’t snooze. Get up and get your day going.
- Exercise – Since I have added exercise to my daily routine, I sleep so much better. I really notice a difference if I do not work out.
Now that we’ve shared some of our tips and tricks for sleeping like a kid, how do you make sleep a priority in your day? Do you have any routines or habits you like to follow before bed? What is one small change you could make this month for a better night’s sleep?