This post is sponsored by Popcorn.org. All opinions are my own.
I’m one of those crazy people that love to celebrate the oddball fun holidays. If you follow It’s a Day…Really, they will tell you everything you need to know about what is going on. There was a day last week for hot tea. Of course, I had to celebrate. In keeping with some of my favorite fun things to do, did you know that later this week, January 19th is National Popcorn Day! Who can say no to popcorn? Miss H and I love whipping up our own fun toppings and watch all the princess movies we can find. Of course when it’s cold outside, we have to think of all the fun things to do!
Today, I wanted to share with you one of my favorite ways I pop and top popcorn, Easy Garlic Herb Parmesan Popcorn, and share some corny facts you may not know about our trusty friend the corn kernel.
Did you know –
- Popcorn is a whole grain – Whole grains contain fiber, providing the roughage needed in a daily diet. Popcorn is also additive free, preservative free and sugar free. Perfect for that low carb lifestyle.
- Popcorn is Non-GMO – There has never been, nor is there currently, any Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) popcorn or popcorn seed for sale in the U.S.
- Popcorn is Gluten Free – Wonderful option for my friends with Celiac Disease and gluten intolerance. Popcorn does not contain wheat, rye, or barley gluten—the types of gluten most associated with gluten disorders.
- Popcorn is low in fat and calories – and of course so versatile!
You can find out more fun facts and history over at Popcorn.org!
It may be the perfect snack ever. There, I just said it. The perfect snack. Just think of the possibilities.
When it comes to snacking though, I love a good salty savory snack. As I’m focusing on my minimizing this year, I am continuing to be smart about what I eat and how much I eat. One snack that I can feel guilt free about is air popped popcorn. It’s delicious and a fantastic vehicle for so many flavor options. One way we like to enjoy popcorn at our house is Garlic Herb Parmesan Popcorn. If I had to pick a spice or a spice blend that we go through a lot of it’s Italian blend seasoning. We use copious amounts of it regularly. Italian Blend is basically the kitchen sink of spices. It’s just mix of thyme, basil, parsley, marjoram, oregano, and sage. Don’t worry, you can find this in your local grocers spice aisle easily. Another staple item we have on hand are wedges of Parmesan cheese. It just tastes so much better freshly grated, don’t you think? Paired together here it’s an Italian Match made in heaven. Here is how I make it.
Garlic Herb Parmesan Popcorn
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 TBSP Italian Blend Seasoning
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Popcorn Kernels or 8 Cups of Air Popped Popcorn.
- 2 Cloves Garlic Smashed
In a small sauce pan combine EVOO and cloves of smashed garlic. Bring to a simmer. You’re just looking for the garlic to infuse the oil. Remove garlic and from heat and cool. Once cooled, add the Italian Blend Seasoning.
Pop your popcorn kernels. Be sure to salt your popcorn as well. Slowly drizzle the cooled EVOO Mixture over the popcorn and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Don’t have Italian Blend on hand? You could easily substitute just basil or parsley. Just stay in the dried herbs over fresh. This is fancy enough for girls night out or casual enough for a football game or just an easy weekend snack. The saltiness of the Parmesan really stands out with just a hint of garlic, and it still feels like a hearty substantial snack.
So tell me, how do you like your popcorn? Salty? Sweet?